Most of you know — I LOVE TO SEW! Sewing has always been my first love in the “creating & crafting” realm of my life! My grandmother (Ma-ma) was the one who taught me to sew, and she and I have been the only ones in our family who do! (One of my sisters once told me she had to take a valium to thread a needle!) I took every “sewing” class in High School (when there were actually sewing classes in school) — and then after I had taken all of them, I became the student assistant for the sewing teacher! So, its in my blood!
And cutting machine embroidery appliqués was how I got involved with the Silhouette – -and the rest is history! Now, the really cool thing is that they work together beautifully!! Many machine embroidery designers are now including SVG files with their embroidery designs! One of my personal favorites (and dear friend) is Hope Yoder! Her new “Sew Chandelier Embroidery Collection” is adorable & includes SVG files, as well as embroidery files! And with the “Silhouette Designer Edition Upgrade”, you have the capability of opening SVG files in your Silhouette Studio Software!
This adorable “Luv 2 Sew” file is from Hope’s “Sew Chandelier” collection – that I used for my keychain! But, before I share the Keychain Tutorial with you — Let me tell you about this month’s TREMENDOUS promotion from Silhouette! Simply Click the image below & use the promo code TERRI to take advantage of these awesome savings!
**The Silhouette CAMEO®, The Silhouette Studio® Designer Edition Software, the glitter collection sketch pens, and the metallic collection sketch pens for $269.99 ($94 in savings) **The Silhouette Portrait™, The Silhouette Studio® Designer Edition Software, the glitter collection sketch pens, and the metallic collection sketch pens for $129.99 ($114 in savings) **40% off the Silhouette Studio® Designer Edition Software! Tremendous savings on a powerful upgrade for your Silhouette Studio — Here’s a chart showing the addition features of the upgrade.
NOW, here is how I created this fun “Luv 2 Sew” Keychain –
1) Open the “Luv2Sew” SVG file from the CD — Size it to fit your keychain
2) With the design selected, open the “Cut Style” Window, and click on “Cut”. Dark red cut lines will appear around your design elements.
3) Close the Cut Style Window – and with the design still selected, “Ungroup” the design. This can be done by right clicking on your mouse and selecting “Ungroup” in the drop down menu. Or, a keyboard shortcut is Ctrl+U on a PC, or Cmd+U on a Mac.
4) Once the elements of the design are ungrouped, then you can select both of the green parts, and Group them together, then the pink parts & Group them together (Ctrl+G on a PC, or Cmd+G on a MAC) Move the 3 parts of the design on the mat.
5) Now, place 3 squares of the vinyl onto the mat – and cut! After the design is cut, weed (or remove) the excess vinyl from each color. Then layer transfer tape over each segment of the design.
6) Now its time to place the design on the keychain. Start with the black, then place the green & finally the pink – being sure to smooth it down & “rub” out all of the air bubbles!!
Now you’re done! Just add your keys & you are all set! Hope you enjoyed this tutorial & be sure to take advantage of the Silhouette promotions! Hugs, Terri