I am so excited about the latest update to the Silhouette Studio Software – Version 3.7.026 – which was released this week as a free update. At this time, it is an optional update — which means if you don’t want to use it, you don’t have to! But for me, I love the idea of being able to access all of my designs from any location! And once again, I’m just thrilled that Silhouette America has provided this FREE of charge to us!! But there were a lot of questions, so I reached out to Silhouette Support & received the following information. And then, I upgraded myself & am going to break this all down for you — as I experienced it!
Here is the information that was sent to me by Silhouette America Support Manager:
Please note that the present posting of the Silhouette Cloud is, at this time, an optionally downloaded release. We have made this version of the Studio software available so that users may be able to utilize the Cloud storage features included.
The Silhouette Cloud is intended to allow for the sharing of personally created images and folder structures between devices.
After updating to the Cloud version of the Silhouette Studio software and the initial syncing of your Silhouette Studio library to the Cloud, an active internet connection is not required for the use of library images.
All content purchased from the Silhouette Design Store, once downloaded, is stored locally on the device.
As in the presently constituted iteration of Silhouette Studio, an internet connection is required to download newly purchased content and to recover (sync) images to a new device. Additionally, an internet connection would now be required to sync changes made to Cloud library structures or to upload/download personally created content from the Cloud. Any changes made to Cloud Library structures, or uploads initiated, while offline will await an active internet connection to process.
Within the library, there will be sections for the Local User (non-synced) content and Cloud User (synced) content. Upon initial update, any content purchased from the Silhouette Design Store, and their accompanying folders, will be moved into the Cloud User section of the library. Any personally created designs will remain within the Local User section and will not sync unless moved to the Cloud User section.
First of all – –Before you begin this update (or any update), I would always recommend Exporting your Library — (backing up). If you aren’t sure how to do this – its easy! In Silhouette Studio, go to the top menu bar — Click on File –> Library –>Export Library. Now, for this particular update, I’ve learned that you need to back up to another location on your Hard Drive, not a portable USB or external Hard Drive. So, simply save it to your Desktop, or somewhere you will be able to find it easily.
Once you are backed up, simply download & install the new version of software. Once installed, follow these steps:
- Open Silhouette Studio again.
- Click the ‘Show Library’ Icon
- Click ‘Next’ until you reach the Username & Password section
- Using your Silhouette E-mail & Password, Sign in to the Silhouette Cloud
Once you have signed in, any designs that you have previously purchased from the Silhouette Design Store will automatically start transferring to your Cloud Library.
Here are some important things to know:
- Everyone receives 1GB of Storage. If you have a Subscription to the Design Store or Silhouette Club, then you will receive 5GB of Storage. But, before you worry that that won’t be enough, you need to know that designs purchased in the Silhouette Design Store take up zero GB of Storage. Only designs that you create or purchase & import into your library will take up any storage space in the Cloud. (At this time, there is no option to purchase additional space other than through a Design Store or Silhouette Club membership.)
- There are two compartments to the Library now — the Local User (your computer) and the Cloud.
- At present, the Cloud does not automatically pull personally created (or purchased) designs in. That is up to you. Therefore, only folders containing designs purchased from the Silhouette Design Store will copy over to the Cloud User library, automatically. Any folders not containing designs from the Silhouette Design Store will remain on the Local User side. Folders containing both will be duplicated.
- However, you can manually drag any personally created designs/patterns into the Cloud compartment of your Library & they will automatically sync, if you are online. If you are NOT online, then they will sync the next time you connect to the internet. For example, I purchased these cute Sea Animals for Boys from another site (that I don’t currently remember) — so they weren’t automatically pulled into the Cloud. But, then I clicked & drug the folder into the Cloud Library – -and clicked on “Sync” — and now here they are in the Cloud.
- You can store things either in the Local User folder (same as has always been in the past) or in the Cloud folder. If you save to the cloud folder, you can then open that file on a different computer once you sync. So no more having to take things back and forth on a memory stick or external hard drive. You can keep all or none or some in the cloud folder.
- You do NOT have to be online to access your designs once they are synced. I turned off my Wi-Fi connection, after syncing – and I was able to access all of my designs in the Cloud.
- Note: If you do not see your Folder Structure in the Cloud — Try re-syncing by clicking on the Sync icon in the upper left hand corner of the screen. If you still do not see them, you may need to import your library from the back up on your hard drive. This did happen to me, but this will not happen to most people. When I did, my folders re-appeared!
A few new things that have changed:
- New Icons in your Library window — One is the Sync that I just mentioned above. Next to that is an Icon that looks like a mobile phone. You are allowed to activate 5 devices with the Cloud. So this is where you will see what devices are activated & deactivate if you want. (Just like iTunes!) Next to that is a Sign In option for the Cloud.
- You can still Export your Library — but it is in a different Location. When you right click on your Local User or Cloud User in the Library Window – you get the option to Export that Library.
- You still have the option to Save to either your Hard Drive or your Library — but again, its in a different location.
- The same applies to saving as Version 2 or Version 3 — You still have that option. When you save, you receive the DropDown menu that allows you to select which format you want.
So, that’s what I’ve learned so far!! I think that its going to be exciting to be able to access designs from anywhere! I’m sure that there will be more info along the way — and possibly some additional updates to fix any bugs — but I feel that Silhouette is giving us a great option to access our designs from multiple devices. You can read through this information & decide whether or not you want to update now – -or wait a while!
Hope that you found it helpful – -and if you want to learn even more about Silhouette & Silhouette Studio — why not join us for All Things Silhouette Conference this year — either in August in CA or November in Atlanta!!! We’d love to have you!
Until next time —